May 16, 2011

30 minute Gluten Free meals

Ok so I have to be honest, this year I have not been the cook that I was last year. This is mostly due to the fact that I am no longer a stay at home gf cook. I have a job, I am taking French classes every week, and to top it off am doing an online grad certificate program. So let me just say that it is not me that you can find in the kitchen these days. It is either my dog cleaning up the floor in there or my amazing husband who has taken over my job. But, when I have the time, I am right back in there whipping up something (in 30 minutes or less). That's right, I have tried to become the celiac Rachel Ray and time my dinner to 30 minutes or less (but I must be honest that sometimes it takes about 40-45!), I like to call this efficient cooking because really those of us that work, who has time to spend hours in the kitchen?? So I would like to share with you my go to recipe that seriously does take 30 minutes and to top it off it is easy to clean up and you don't need a professional to organize your ingredients! It is a Rachel Ray recipe and one of my favorites. I first made it with one of my best friends when I was home over Christmas break many years ago. However, this was before I knew I was celiac. But the one thing I do remember about making this sauce was the fact that I could not stop tasting it! It is a crowd pleaser and more importantly one of the easiest sauces ever to make! But again let me credit Rachel Ray for this one!

Sasauge Fennel Pasta

*1 lb (500g) ground sausage
*1 fennel bulb chopped
*1 onion chopped
*3 cloves garlic
*1 cup white wine
*2 cans (400g) diced or canned tomatoes
*Salt
*some spice-either sirachi sauce, cayenne, or whatever you use to bring on the heat!
*Fresh torn basil leaves


Brown sausage in a sauce pan or wok. Line plate with paper towel and place cooked sausage on plate. Sauté fennel, onion, and garlic in pan until slightly tender. Add in canned tomatos, wine, cooked sausage, and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste and add your ``heat`` in. Simmer for as long as you like. You can simmer this sauce for hours if you like or you can boil water immediately for your pasta, after turning it down to simmer. I have simmered this sauce 15 min, 30 min, an hour,etc and it made no difference. Sometimes I also like to add other veggies in such as mushrooms. But it is totally up to you, make it your own! So cook up some spaghetti al dente with this bad boy sauce and maybe even top it off with some garlic bread or ``g-toast`` as I like to call it.

3 comments:

365 sonrisas said...

HI! I found your blog cause i´m celiac and i´m travelling to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia this summer. If you could advise me that could help. Thank you very much and i invite you to check my gluten free blog (it´s in spanish but you can translate into english). I have many recipes: www.martafuertesboto.blogspot.com
Regards,
Marta

Katherine said...

Hi Marta! Sorry for my delay in replying to you, I have been busy visiting my family in Alaska and Montreal. Where are you traveling to in Slovenia and Croatia? For me it was incredibly easy to eat in both Slovenia and Croatia, especially because everyone speaks English. However, I do recommend taking language cards telling them you are celiac and what you can't eat. I found this very helpful. I would order something I thought to be gf on the menu and then gave them my card to verify with the chef, if it wasn't they had no problem modifying it. I also recommend taking some bread, crackers, and other snacks you like. I am pretty sure you can find gf bread in the pharmacies in Croatia, but I am not entirely sure! There is also a croatian celiac website that you can google. I can't remember the address off the top of my head, but will look for it! Thanks for the link to your blog, I will definitely check it out. And let me know if you have any other questions!!

price per head call center said...

I have wanted to learn more about particular topics, but not many websites would help me out in informing me the way I expected. This left me with many question, but after reading your article, I got an answer to all my questions. You are too cool dude!!!