April 11, 2009

Sunday Brunch Quiche



I am finally home and have been for a little over ten days. I have been up to my head in appointments, un-packing, caring for the little pup, running around, seeing old friends, etc. etc. Therefore, I have had absolutely no time until today to do a little blogging. Our last trip around Italy was fantastic, hilarious, and full of eating. I will post about it soon, along with a list of wonderful gluten free restaurants. Being home is comforting and relaxing. I have not been my usual chaotic cooking self, but I still have dabbled into some new recipes. My Mom and I hosted a brunch last Sunday for my Mom's sister and her family. They brought some food, I made some food, and it turned out just perfect. I whipped up a couple of old tried and true recipes and then added a new one into the mix. I created a gluten free quiche, that I thought was quite tasty. My cousin even had seconds, although he really will eat just about anything you put in front of him! This recipe is perfect for a brunch, breakfast, or even to go along with a dinner. There are also many variations of quiches that you can create, but I went with the well-known quiche Lorraine, as my boyfriend and I have had a laugh about this quiche, since it is "named" after his Mom!

Quiche Lorraine

~1 GF pie crust, see http://glutenfreeworldtraveler.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-italian-thanksgiving-senza-glutine_04.html

~1/4 cup green onion, chopped
~1/2 cup GF honey ham, chopped
~1/4 cup-1/2 cup shredded white Cheddar
~4 eggs
~1 Tbs Butter
~pinch garlic powder
~pinch salt
~2 cups hot milk, I used 2%

Work pie crust into ball and let it sit in fridge for at least an hour. Remove crust from fridge and roll out to fit your greased quiche pan, I used a glass round pan. Pre-heat oven to 375 and cook crust for 5 minutes or so. You want the crust to set a bit before you pour in the liquids. While pie is starting to cook, saute onions in 1 Tbs butter. Pull the pan out and line with ham and cheese. Beat eggs together and add hot milk, add this mixture to your cooking onions. Cook on low heat until the egg mixtures starts to cook and become thick. Pour this liquid mixture over ham and cheese in pie crust. Cook for 35-45 minutes or until set.

No comments: