January 7, 2009

Black Bean Soup

Now I love a great black bean soup in the winter. The spicy taste and warm comforting texture always captures my taste buds. My parents arrive tomorrow in the great country of Italia, so I thought what better way to welcome them then to whip up some delizioso soup. I know what you are thinking, I should be creating some sort of Italian delicacy...Well don't fret I am! Only that delicious dish is saved for dinner.

I had quite some time on my hands today, so I figured I would take my time with this soup. This soup is a perfect soup to create on those rainy days or even the days where you have a whole bunch of housework that needs to be done, which was my case. And of course, if you don't have hours of time ahead of you at home, just throw this baby in the crock pot for a couple hours. This soup is good and so hearty that you can even drizzle it over a bed of rice. I personally like to serve mine with fresh chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, and even a dollop of sour cream. Buon Appetito!

Black Bean Soup

~5-6 cups water
~6 cups GF veggie broth
~1 400g can crushed tomatoes
~2 celery stalks
~300g cubed bacon(about 4-5 pieces)
~1 large onion
~3 cloves garlic minced
~salt and pepper to taste
~500g black beans, rinsed and drained( app. 1 lb)
~2 bay leaves
~1/4 tsp. oregano
~cayenne pepper to taste

Place 5 cups water in a large pot, add rinsed black beans and bring to boil. Boil 30-45 min. while you get all other ingredients ready. Sauté chopped bacon in soup pot. Once bacon starts to brown, add onions, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 10min. adding in oregano, salt, and pepper. Then add bay leaves, beans, and water in which they are cooking in to veggies in soup pot. Add can of crushed tomatoes. Then stir in 1/2 of the broth and cook uncovered. After 20-30 min. add the rest of broth, simmer covered for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. Add more water if soup becomes too thick. Taste occasionally and season with cayenne as necessary. Once beans are very soft and easy mashed against side of pot, remove soup in portions and puree in blender or food processor. Once soup is all blended return to pot. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Katherine~
Thanks for submitting your black bean soup recipe to Soup-er Saturday. I will be sure to add it to the post on Saturday AM.
Thanks,
Katie