November 26, 2008

Thought you were done eating Chinese food forever?? Well think again!

Personally, I find that I have a huge taste for ethnic foods. I used to eat Chinese food quite often growing up, from take out, to the grocery store selection, to the Chinese Buffets, and even the occasional sit down meal. I even used to walk with a couple friends in high school down get some Chinese food for lunch from a nearby hot spot. Upon being diagnosed, it registered in my mind that I would never be able to have some of my favorite Chinese Foods ever again in my life! Well this fact wasn't dominating my mind as much as the thoughts about ALL of the foods I could never again it. It wasn't until I was watching Sex in The City that it really hit me. For those of you who have seen this movie, you know what I am talking about. There is a scene in which Carry is at Miranda's house and they are sharing a special moment on New Years Eve eating delicious Chinese food. I kid you not; I stared at that scene with anger, pity, sadness, jealousy, hatred, and about a million other terrible feelings. As I drove home from that wonderful movie, I started bawling and continued to bawl the whole entire way home because I knew I could never eat Chinese Food again in my life. I had a huge talk with myself that night about how things potentially could be worse and finally over some time have come to terms with a lot of things in this challenging situation, I realized that there is hope for us Celiacs! There is a wonderful invention called....Gluten Free Soy Sauce!!! And let me be the first to say that you will never know the difference. So don't fret because all Chinese Food is not lost, the only thing that is lost is possibly the fact that you may not be able to enjoy your favorite Chinese Food at the local Golden Gate restaurant anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't replicate the majority of that experience at home!!!

Growing up I was not a huge fan of stir fry, but in the recent years have come to love that dish. It wasn't until I was over here in Italy that I really started experimenting with this dish. I have now found the ideal stir fry recipe through trial and error and the help of my boyfriend. I do have to give him credit for part of this dish, as he made the initial sauce; I just jazzed it up a bit in the end. So I hope that all of you enjoy this very easy, quick, and most importantly absolutely delicious recipe! Light some candles to set the ambiance, make a pot of tea, perhaps wear your Chinese slippers purchased in China Town, and then sit down to some relaxing authentic stir fry.


Chinese Stir Fry

~1 yellow bell pepper chopped
~1 cup mushrooms chopped
~1/2 cup snow peas broken in half
~1/2 cup bean sprouts
~1 small yellow onion chopped
~1/2 cup broccoli chopped
~1lb chicken sliced into small pieces or beef
~olive oil
~2 cloves garlic

Sauté chicken or beef until cooked and remove from skillet or wok. Add olive oil to pan and sauté onion for 1-2 minutes. Then add in garlic, bell pepper, snow peas, and broccoli. Cook for 4 more minutes and then add mushrooms and bean sprouts. Then stir in soy sauce, honey, and ginger until completely mixed. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 more minutes until veggies are cooked, but still crunchy and chicken is heated through. Serve immediately over a bed of rice or cooked vermicelli noodles.

Sauce

~1/3 cup GF soy sauce
~2-3 tbs honey
~1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated(add more if you love the taste of ginger)

~Optional: hot pepper flakes or GF spicy Thai chili sauce to taste

*Note: Sometimes I will add more sauce if there isn't enough for me to pour over my rice. Feel free to add more or less depending on how much you like sauce. Also you may want to alter the sauce slightly adding more honey if you like a sweeter sauce, less soy sauce, etc. It is all up to you, honestly each time I make this I never measure it out and every time it tastes different, but that is what I like about it.

No comments: